February 10, 2009

Hello Family…=)
I am so sorry to hear about all of your sicknesses. I have been a little sick this week too. Pday keeps getting moved. It is usually Monday but gets changed on holidays on transfer weeks and on Zone conferences. So the last few weeks have been all those. This next week unless something comes up (these Puerto Ricans always have random holidays) I should be writing on Monday morning. New area. Hmmm Far west. There are always problems with Dominicans Smuggling drugs but the area is actually really clean. There are a whole lot of tourists so we speak English a lot. ACTUALLY…. In church us missionaries have to translate the meeting to English for the tourists and there are a lot of members that don’t know Spanish here. So this Sunday I spent all of priesthood session Slaughtering the English language. There was an old man and all the other missionaries told me it was my turn so I started translating for him. He fell asleep and I decided to keep going just to practice my translating skills which need about 5 more years time and they will be understandable. He fell asleep and started drooling all over. A contstant stream of Saliva for about 30 minutes without breaks… I was way impressed. The 2nd counselor in the bishopric thinks his mission was the best and tells us if people don’t get baptized its because we mess up and aren’t doing things right. He’s a hard one to work with. My new companion is Elder Jed Barker. He is from North ogden Utah and his dad owns a dairy farm. He’s a great guy. Funny, nice and still workin on the speaking aspect of Spanish. So he understands and I speak…He looks a little like Jared Haynes from forest grove. The area Rincon supposedly has the best surfing on the island. There is a member whose daughter teaches surfing lessons. And yeah…I think I’m going to come back and learn how to surf. This member is a mason from Hawaii and has built his whole house! IT’S A CASTLE!!! No JOKE!!! I will get picture when we go help him but he’s made it all with his own hands and it is beautiful! The best part is he makes it up on the fly. He doesn’t have blueprints just makes it up as he goes. Its amazing! He was just baptized about a year ago and going strong! He’s an awesome BUFF Hawaiian guy. I got to witness my first Puerto Rican baptism. And unfortunately its not as cool as elder kholer’s pictures, we have fonts in the chapels here…although if I get sent to the islands they baptize in the ocean! =) Who knows. I lost our keys this week. Left them in church on Sunday. So last night we spent a little while walking back and forth trying to get copies of our dueños key…the hardware store was closed but the lady let us in and copy the key. We copied it and then walked home tried it and it didn’t work so we walked back and she fixed it and then gave us an umbrella to walk home with so we went back and returned the umbrella this morning. Unfortunately we didn’t talk to her about the gospel at all. We aren’t perfect and just because I got a black badge on doesn’t make it easy to just talk to anyone about the gospel. I’m fixing that though. I am so excited to dedicate the rest of my life to missionary work. Through my family through my callings and through my job. Missionary work is in ever facet of our lives and I wish we could help the members realize that a little more. This Zone conference we had Elder Binia or Vinia something like that from the first 70. He shared with us that the best way to fix a problem is “Be and example and Testify” Not to assign someone to speak on the topic the next Sunday and not to chastise people either. My goaland ideal missionary is one that is always an example and always testifying. I can’t wait to help missionaries out after my mission. Being one of the members that is always willing to teach and always willing to help them out. And GIVE REFFERENCES! Now many times we have lessons set up and pass by and people aren’t there and people don’t tell us or anything. However. These members think it is our fault and that we aren’t teaching good people and who knows what else. Always help please! PLEASE! Our brothers and sisters need the gospel in Portland Oregon! Other than that yeah Life is great as a missionary! I left my pillow in arecibo…=( and now I have to wait for someone to bring it over here. I don’t know if I’ll ever get it. =(
I Love You all! Hope all is well and praying that you can all be healthy. I miss you and will talk to you later.Love Elder Ellis

No comments: