January 26, 2009

Pues Buenos Dias Mi querida Familia! Gracias por escribir la carta. Estaba triste porque no tenia una carta. Pero después de escribir la carta a presidente Recibi una carta! =)
Well This week was wonderful! Let me tell you! We started our week with a wonderful phone call from president Martineau. He told us. Elders. Your Area has never been a good finding area. BUT has never lacked in baptisms. You just have to go about it a different way. You need to make sure you are working through your members and really working on strengthening your less actives. Less finding more strengthening reactivating and bringing people back to the fold. So that we did. We started focusing a little more on this subject of finding the members and working with all of them. At the same time we changed a couple things. My companion…Knows Spanish, thinks he knows more than he does but he knows Spanish. He usually tries to get to know the people much better at the very first. This week I suggested we just make them quick and to the point. We are missionaries preaching a message of the Restored Gospel. So this is we did. This week we had less finding time than all of our previous weeks. Although when we focused our message on this small simple Fact we were able to see much more success. This week we had a goal of 7 new investigators. We received 6 ! Woohoo! One of them is named Max! He’s from new York and we just taught him on Saturday. We contacted him the same time we contacted Eduardo, He lives right across the street from Eduardo. We had to drop Eduardo this week because he doesn’t want to progress. He said. Well. I think god knows that I am busy in my life right now so he understands that I’m not ready to be baptized. This made us sad but instead of getting down we walked across the street to talk to max whom we hadn’t taught yet. He let us come in and talk with him we talked to him and found out he knows much more English than Spanish. So he is yet another person we are teaching in English. We taught him. Then that night we had a priesthood meeting with David Bednar and President Eyring…They were in Jamaica for a whole Caribe “Area Conference” It was pretty neat. But max agreed to come. We explained to him more about the church and he was excited to get to know some people. He is from New York he’s 19 and moved here because he didn’t like home and wanted to come help his grandma. So that is what he is doing. He is way cool. We taught him yesterday and Set a baptismal Date for the 25th of February. Hopefully I won’t get transferred. Who knows. The whole time we were teaching him he kind of had a half smile waiting to burst out I asked him what he was thinking if he had anything to say or ask. He replied. “Well I haven’t smiled this big and been this happy since before things at home got bad. He knows the church is true started reading from the beginning of the book of mormon and loves it! He said he has read books from other churches before and none have felt as right as this one. We also had an exchange this week. My companion went with one of the assistants and the assistant’s comanion was my companion. He has three transfers in the mission. Only 1 More that me. So I was way nervous. It was a great calming experience . The work did not stop. I am very comfortable with where my Spanish is at because frankly his was horrible. He tried hard. He just is having a hard time. Not only that but we had 2 new investigators on our exchange day. WONDERFUL! The lord Helps Gringos! We did fine. I Loved that day. He was a little weird, messy and girly but it was wonderful day! President made a new rule this last week. Someone will be getting a new MP3 Player back home… He is not allowing MP3 Players. We can have CD Players but not MP3 Players. So the new one I just got for free will be getting home soon. Not till next week though when I get my mission money. This next week we get to go pick and squeeze canya. Or Sugar Cane. =) I’m excited about that one. I am loving being a missionary and loving teaching the gospel! I miss home and will be excited to come home but not till that time rolls around. I Love Being a Missionary!

Thanks for all your love and support!
Elder Ellis!

No comments: