Past e-mails from Elder Ellis

Dec. 15
"Well This week. Started Monday with p day and sorry but eright now I don’t have too much time we are doing a zone activity and only have a short time to write and read. But Monday we Had p day and didn’t do much exciting just prepared. Today we are going to the Caves and you will have so wonderful pictures to look at when I send this card. =) I had a whole lizard for you this last week but in one of our big rainstorms I lost it.

Tuesday we had interviews with president Martineau and those were wonderful! He is a Great mission president! Always plans everything to a tee …he’s a lawyer so it makes sense. But some of my concerns have been feeling the spirit and the book of mormon. I know the book of mormon is the Word of god and my problem was when I prayed I didn’t receive an undeniable manifestation that it is true. President said well. When you testify about it do you feel like you are lying. I of course said no. He said then you know it is true. It doesn’t matter how you received that answer just that you know its true. Then he said that the way that I know it is true is the same way about 90% of my investigators will know it is true as well. I know every time I read without a doubt that the are words written by prophets of God! I Know it. He helped strengthen my testimony of this. As well I was having struggles “listening” to the spirit and have been studying and studying on how to feel it more. He also helped me realize that I have a fear of not having it and fear and faith are complete opposites. SO this week I strived to have faith and not be afraid I didn’t have it or wasn’t listening to it. One night while teaching a 15 year old investigator My companion finished his part and I started talking. After I finished my part and we concluded the lesson my companion looked at me and said elder ellis. You just said everything that I was going to say. It isn’t a huge miracle but I said the things that came to my heart and my companion assured me that I had covered all that he needed to hear. I by the power of the spirit, taught the lesson that we had planned.

Nothing huge no huge miracle like many people look for and not even really the types of story where people say they said the perfect thing to baptize. No. I didn’t worry. Had faith and thoughts filled my heart. And filled the heart of my companion as well. I know this church is true! I know that by the power of the Spirit we can touch the hearts of the people. I know that The book of mormon is true and I know it is true because the assurance I receive while reading it!

I Love Being a Missionary! And I love our mission president! He is a great man! He is a man called of god!

He shared with me another thing that really touched me. He said. Elder Ellis… I don’t know much of your life before but I do know that you have been called into this mission for a purpose. The lord knows what leaders he needs at what times. He knows that there will be a change in this mission right at the end (sound familiar yet) He knows that the leaders in this mission will need to be strong and ready for the change of the mission president when my calling is over (sound similar to anything yet) Again elder ellis I don’t know much about your life before the mission but I know that you are prepared to be here at this time. For the people and also for the other missionaries. Don’t worry. Work hard and do you part as a servant of the lord.

I have been prepared to be here at this time. I know the lord needs me.

The rest of the week we were practicing a lot for a Christmas choir fireside thing that we had. It was… interesting… =) made me laugh. Beautiful!

Then this Sunday. Our investigator Manuel He came into the church and looked like a completely different man! Completely Different! He had a huge smile onm his face and just looked happy! Doctrine and Covenants 130 talks about the blessings from obedience to the laws upon which blessings are predicated. He obeyed the Word of wisdom and is now receiving blessings of health and happiness. WonderfuL! Also he has a moustache and since he has stopped smoking it has gotten much cleaner and the smoke marks are gone. He just looks so clean and new! I can’t wait till his baptism!

We also had Jack the 15 year old in the church this Sunday. I was kind of upset because none of the youth introduced themselves and none sat by him or talked to him either. And also as many youth do in our ward. Slouch! Aahhhh this is one of my biggest pet peeves. They didn’t look interested nor did they show the happiness and joy that we are promising to this investigator. The workof the members in missionary work is so important. We are working with the young mens president to help fix this and have a little training session. I understand many youth come because their parents make them but for a missionary its so hard to do our work when they aren’t paying attention. I love these people I love this area. Although we have a lot of work to do!"

No comments: