Oct. 30, 2008

"Hmm. This week passed again just as fast as the last. Study Study Study. I am using my study times even more affectively and it pays off. I GOT MY BALLOT. I am filling it out and then the mail goes out tomorrow. That measure about the THPRD NEEDS TO GO THROUGH. Then they can fix things like the boiler that goes out every year and be able to get things up and working like the lights in our pool that have a short.

But here in my world. The Dominicanos are great! My companion and i go into one of their rooms and teach them an english hymn every night. It's awesome. But we were singing last night and i forgot the words in english. I could remember every word in spanish but the english words slipped my mind. Then last night i got a little prideful about my memorization and offered to race a dominican that just got it all memorized and stupid me. He kicked my butt!. I wasn't even half way through it and he was done. Very Humbling experience. We teach him english words and he is helping us with out spanish. I can't wait till i'm fluent. Today we are doing the Endowment in spanish. I will definitely have a headset =) oh man.

We had set up an appointment to meet with this girl at the university on monday becuase last time we left here with an english pamphlet becuase she want's to talk english with us. So we were going to meet her but she never showed up. So much prayer and this sunday is fast sunday so hopefully we can see her again on monday and answer questions and help her find the Restored Gospel. Josh- i'm sorry i keep giving you advice but I LOVE PREACH MY GOSPEL. Start going through it and studying it. The lessons especially. They are great. I love Lesson Three. Thats all... =)
What else what else. We play basketball during our gym time and we had a pretty good system down and then all the domincans and they have completely different rules. They don't take the ball back. I swear they don't know what a foul is. and the scoring team gets the ball and they don't know what traveling is either. It makes the games interesting. It's pretty fun! I also started playing ping pong. It's way fun! I'm no good yet but i enjoy playing. But non missionaries who aren't supposed to be in our gym come in and break the balls and paddles and stuff so it makes it a pain to go and then not have a ball to play with. I usually play by myself anyway. Just fold it up like forest gump and go for it.

I am almost through Our heritage. WHAT A WONDERFUL BOOK! So many Miracles happened to the Saints. Their Faith was tried many times and they still kept going. Constantly moving constantly being attacked and constantly Trying to create a temple to Worship God. There is one story that Tells of a man who was tied up, and one of the guards walked over and said if you don't denounce mormonism right now i'll shoot you. and he replied never will i eny my god. and then the man tried to shoot him but the bullet would not fire. He seemed confused becuase he said his gun had never missed a shot. He cleaned it and tried again and still it would not fire. So he Cleaned it again and put a new pack in and tried again and it would not work. So the fourth time someone else cleaned it and he went for it the 4th time and his gun backfired killing the man who was trying to shoot the mormon. Crazy! So many stories and accounts of people that gave up everything they had to obey. Watched family members be killed and everything. Amazing Faith. It makes me feel like i have life so much easier. that there is nothing that i cannot do.

Another thing. I went to the Joseph Smith website the church has and was looking and some of the Documents they have there and i was just shocked at Joseph Smiths writing ability. What a Testimony to me that he was called of God. There are a few letter he wrote to Emma in Liberty Jail. He has terrible spelling and makes so many mistakes. For a man with that little education to produce a book so profound is a miracle and we are living it! We are seeing the fruits of those Pioneers who endured more trials than we could comprehend. But as the lord works to help us and guide us we know that satan tries just as hard. We have problems and trials in our day as well Much different but they are there. What an amazing blessing to be born in our day. Into families and Diversity and all the intricate details of our day.

There were some interesting times this week. We were talked to by the President about using our study time for things that our investigators will need. Some elders got on the subject of Cain. and whether Cain is alive or dead and it got pretty bad one elder went a little too far with it. But another elder started quoting Parly P Pratts Journal entries where it talks about his run in with Cain. and then president told us that that is of no importance to us at this time nor is it really important in any time of our lives. The main chunk of the Gospel we should focus on is the Atonement and Jesus Christ. Kind of like the Quote from Thomas Edison. "You and i have 16 hours in a day in which we can do something, the difference, you spend your time doing a bunch of unrelated things i spend all of mine focused on one thing and eventually my work is bound to amount to something." (paraphrased) Our purpose for coming to the earth is to prepare to meet god. I can be focused on something that will be more involved to my purpose in life at this moment. To help other Children of God to begin their preparations

Enough on that. Studying the scriptures has such a great impact on my day. In the Knowledge Christlike Attribute in Preach my gospel it says to Study the Scriptures Every day, and also the words of the living prophets. Why did i not do that before my mission? oh boy. It gives such great peace and comfort to my soul. At the university i am having a hard time being bold. In preach my gospel it tells us we need to be bold but not overbearing. This is people's salvation and not something to just say ok i understand if they say they are catholic or something else. I am practicing sharing with them the importance of our message.

Well my email is quite long and you're probab ly bored. I'm going to the temple."Life is not easy, becuase Salvation was not a cheap experience"Jeffrey R Holland.

I love Being a missionary!

Elder Ellis"

No comments: