July 7, 2010

So this week.

Erika before i forget. We recieved a new mission president and he scheduled a meeting that we had to leave at 4 in the morning to get to. We got there and it was the Joining of the two puerto rico missions. I walked in and shook hands with a few people and kept walking then heard "elder wait a second. Come back here" i had no idea who was talking to me i turned around with wide eyes and there was a sister that pulled on my suit and said. "What was your last name???" she pulled the lapel of my suit to see my tag and then Said Erika's little brother. I talked to you at BYU-I and know your sister. She lived right next to me." Her name is sister Skout. i believe. You might find her on facebook if you dont know her by her last name. She said to say hi to you.

So in that meeting which was on friday. We met president alvarado who used to be an area general authority in the Caribbean. He talked about family. There is an elder that started his mission at the same time as his sister. He was in the West mission she was in the east mission. They said goodbye with a handshake in the Airport in Puerto rico. as they then left to go to their separate missions. Well on friday they saw each other for the first time. President Alvarado told them to come up to the front and he talked about the importance of family. then said. These are the only two missionaries who are authorized to do this in the mission. But Give each other a hug! They hugged for a long time making everyone else really jealous. Then he continued saying everytime you meet each other i hope that you would do it in this same way.

He talked alot about how we need to be a family here in puerto rico. There is no longer an east and west mission. BUT a puerto rico mission. He is convinced that this opening of the line is preparation for a temple in Puerto Rico.

Then him and his family (wife and three kids (16, 11, 9)) sang us a song and then we all went up to shake hands with them. Sister Alvarado is a very nice Puerto Rican full of love lady. then i shook hands with president Alvarado and he just said Hello elder and let go. Didn't even look me in the eyes. we went through the meeting and i learned a lot. He had tons of great greeny fire. He was pumped and it felt great with that many missionaries whew. Good feelings. Like the MTC again. Then at the end as we all walked out he shook everyones hand again. i noticed with some missionaries he would put his arm around them or ask them some questions. and again he just shook my hand and moved on to the other elders. Just didn't feel too accepted. But i'm looking forward to my first interview with him which will be a great opportunity to get to know him a little better.

He said that P-day will be every Wednesdays. So for the next however many weeks it is every wednesday.

This area is good, great recent converts. No investigators. and one thing that president said which is a little different was... "Get to know the people be their friends. Know their families then you'll have success." I have been trying to apply it and the contacts we make are so much better. It feels good.

We are walking all over. My face is getting a little skinnier. My belly...uh maybe not. Latin culture is so much different. People comment on you being fat very openly. They say things like you just need to lose a little weight and you'll look great!

There is a lady who they call tita. She looks a little like you mom and she said your double says hi. =)

Well that was my week. My comp's a nerd. but hes funny. we're so different in so many ways. He takes forever to do things. I eat a plate in about 5-10 minutes and he takes almost 45. so i have plenty of time to meditate. study or nap while he's eating lunch.

I LOVE THE BOOK OF MORMON. i am so grateful for what it has done to me. What a precious gift God has given us. This morning i read about the Zoramites. How they got up on the rameumptum. I had always heard Mom and Dad say that as a kid. But never knew what it meant. =) I learned this morning.

This time reading the book of mormon i am putting a lot more attention to each part i read and i love it. i am learning so much!


Well take care my dear family.

i didn't get the package yet because i'm in the mountains but it should come this week. My birthday was another day. No calls from any of my leaders not even the sisters in our district. My companion got me a dollar harmonica. to go wtih my conch shell. =) and that was about it. But it didn't bother me at all. just another birthday on the mission. the best birthday present will be about two months late. =)

No comments: